ANKARA (Reuters) – Measures announced by Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor in response to the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul last month were “positive but insufficient”, Turkey’s foreign minister said on Thursday.
Mevlut Cavusoglu made the comment in response to announcement by Saudi Arabia’s public prosecutor detailing Riyadh’s actions on the case. The former adviser to the royal court, Saud al-Qahtani, has been banned from traveling and remained under investigation, the prosecutor said.
The prosecutor has requested the death penalty for five out of 11 suspects charged in the murder, deputy public prosecutor and spokesman Shaalan al-Shaalan told reporters.
Reporting by Tuvan Gumrukcu and Ece Toksabay; Writing by David Dolan; Editing by Dominic Evans